Detoxing from drugs or alcohol is just one part of your recovery journey. Once you have made it through withdrawal, the trick is to maintain that newfound recovery. The best way to do that is with continued addiction treatment that includes group therapy programs. Some people may overlook the benefits of group therapy for recovery, but it has proven time and time again to support long-term recovery. The addiction treatment therapies at Amatus Recovery Centers always include group therapy, as we realize the value of this type of therapy for sustained recovery. By providing you with plenty of opportunities to bond with others in recovery and overcome addiction together, we are confident you will succeed in your goals for recovery. Give us a call today at [Direct] or fill out our online contact form to learn more about the benefits of group therapy programs at our treatment centers.
What Is Group Therapy for Recovery?
Just as it sounds, group therapy for recovery is therapy provided for groups of people going through addiction recovery. Group therapy sessions may run differently from treatment center to treatment center, but overall, they have similar formats. Addiction recovery groups may include:
- Clients enrolled in outpatient addiction treatment programs gather together at the treatment center regularly for group therapy sessions. Depending on the intensity of your program, this could mean one weekly session or several sessions throughout the week.
- A qualified counselor or therapist leads the group, starting with a check-in with each group member to see how everyone is doing with their recovery and anything they wish to share.
- The counselor often has a topic selected for each session, such as improving family relationships, turning away drugs and alcohol, or managing stress at work. The topics covered in group therapy relate to life skills, interpersonal skills, and relapse prevention.
- The counselor provides tips and strategies on each topic, and each group member contributes to the discussion.
- The session may close by having members develop a personal goal related to the topic to share with the group.
You may notice some similarities between group, individual, and family therapy sessions. There are advantages to each type of therapy, so you will get the most thorough treatment by incorporating all types into your addiction treatment plan.
How Can Group Therapy Programs Support Long-Term Recovery?
While individual and family counseling are integral components of addiction treatment therapies, group therapy programs are also crucial in lasting recovery. Some of the benefits of group therapy for recovery include:
- Knowing you are not alone – Each person’s recovery journey is different, and not everyone has a supportive group of friends or family members to help them stay on track. Group therapy enables you to spend time with others who can relate to your struggles and successes.
- Learning relapse prevention skills – Counselors provide strategies to help you avoid or reject drugs or alcohol, and other group members can share what did or did not work for them. This gives you a realistic view of life in recovery so that you can learn from the mistakes and successes of others.
- Learning how to deal with life stressors – One of the most significant contributors to substance use is stress. When you are in recovery, you need to find healthier ways to deal with stress to prevent relapse. Counselors can provide you with various methods of reducing stress, such as yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises. Group members can also share how they relieve stress to avoid relapse.
- Improving your overall health and well-being – You will gain valuable tools and resources to inspire better choices. Incorporating these tools into your life can nourish your mind, body, and spirit, making you feel better and less tempted to reach for drugs or alcohol.
When you enroll in addiction treatment, take advantage of all opportunities for group therapy programs. They can make all the difference in sustaining your recovery.
Embrace Lasting Recovery with Group Therapy Programs at Amatus Recovery Centers
At Amatus Recovery Centers, you can reap all the benefits of group therapy for recovery. Combined with individual counseling, family therapy, and support from our caring staff, you will be well on your way to a lifetime of healthy, happy recovery. Call us today at [Direct] or complete our online form to get started on the road to your best life.